Welcome to FIT4MOM, Central Leeward Oahu

Friday, January 15, 2010

Meet the Trainers (Part 2 - Buffy)

We are re-posting our "Meet the Trainers" series so that our new member can learn a little more about our fabulous, amazing trainers! Look for a new post each Friday.

••••••••

Our second "Meet the Trainers" post highlights everyone's favorite "kick your booty" trainer, Buffy!

Buffy is originally from San Diego, California and has lived in Hawaii for 14 years. She moved to Hawaii a few years after graduating from San Diego State University with a degree in Elementary Education. She also received her California Teaching Credential from National University in San Diego.

Buffy is a group fitness instructor through AFAA, Aerobics & Fitness Association of America, and is also trained in First Aid, AED and Adult/Child/Infant CPR.

Buffy writes:

"I met my husband, Pete, here in Hawaii through a local running group. Pete and I both ran competitively for Team Nike Town in Honolulu for a number of years. I resigned from the team when I found out I was due with my second child. I taught with the Department of Education for 7 years before I had my first child, Malia Estella, now 6. It was then that I decided to bring Stroller Strides to Hawaii as a co-owner along with my good friend, Katy Mobley. Here I was able to integrate teaching, fitness and my child into 1 fun program. I was co-owner of Stroller Strides for over 2 years, and have taught classes for over 5 years. I have since had 2 more children, Murphy John, 4 and McCully Regis, 2.

I live in Makakilo with my family and mini schnauzer, Mocha, and keep myself busy with teaching Stroller Strides classes, training for marathons (Rock 'n' Roll Marathon in June '08 and the Boston Marathon in April '09). I recently mentored a group of runners with Team in Training, which is part of the Leukemia Lymphoma Society, for the Honolulu Marathon '08, and volunteer at my children's school.

I love Hawaii, the people, the culture and being able to teach quality work out classes outdoors year round. Despite both being from the mainland, Pete is from Boston, we have chosen to make this beautiful island our home. Stroller Strides has been such a bonus in my life and meeting so many women from different backgrounds is fun."

Buffy and McCully

Malia, Pete, McCully and Murphy

Buffy and Pete

Thanks Buffy for letting us all get to know you a little better!

All you other Stroller Strides moms, don't forget to send me a photo(s) and a bio for our mom spotlight posts!