Welcome to FIT4MOM, Central Leeward Oahu

Monday, January 17, 2011

Meet our Newest Instructors!

We have two new instructors in town! Debbie and Maria will be primarily teaching at Schofield and jumping right in with Stephanie's move and Michaela's maternity leave. We're very lucky to have this much experience and dedication to health and fitness joining the instructor team!


Hi! My name is Debbie and I have the privilege of being Mom to my two loving, energetic, fun, and silly children, James (4) and Emma (2).

I married my college best friend, Joe, who is a Submarine Naval Officer. Thanks to physics (I needed a tutor) and running (he needed a training partner for OCS) our relationship bloomed into more than friends and we will be celebrating our ninth anniversary this summer.

I joined Stroller Strides because I love working out but I hated the idea of leaving James and Emma in the gym nursery. One day while running at CORP I saw a group of Stroller Stride moms finishing up at the playground. I had never seen so many moms working out together before and it intrigued me. So I attempted to swallow my “shy side” and jogged up to Heather who happily told me all about SS. She was so sweet and inviting I went home and emailed my husband (who was out to sea on a submarine) all about it. A month later I joined the group and I can’t imagine not being apart of it.

My favorite things about being a part of Stroller Strides are being in the best shape since college, meeting an amazing group of moms, surrounding my children with great friends and introducing them to a healthy lifestyle. I love that my children can be heard saying, “come on power walk Dada” or “lets do lunges.”

Before becoming a mom and wife I was a Division I Cross Country runner and team captain for the University of Hawaii @ Manoa. I coached boys' High School Track and Field long distance and completed the Honolulu Marathon as well as dozens of other road races. I earned my Master's degree in Speech Language Pathology and worked for the Hawaii Department of Education until I had James.

I look forward to working out with you! Aloha!

AFAA Certified – Group Fitness Instructor
American Red Cross – First Aid, Infant, Child & Adult CPR





My name is Maria and I am a proud Army wife to my husband, Adam, and mom to our son Emanuel (21 months). We have been married almost three years and so far the Army has stationed us at Fort Bragg, NC, Fort Lee, VA and now Schofield Barracks, HI.

Adam was set to deploy shortly after we moved here in 2008, so I returned to North Carolina to work and give birth to our son. Emanuel and I returned to the island in October of 2009 as Adam came home from Afghanistan. We have lived on the North Shore, Ewa Beach and now have finally settled on post at Schofield Barracks.

I have a B.S. in Exercise and Sports Science from East Carolina University, a personal trainer certification through AFFA and I am an RN. I have worked in the allied health field since 2002 as a group fitness instructor, exercise physiologist, personal trainer and nurse. I have worked with a diverse group of populations ranging from young adult to senior citizens. My passion is working with cardiac rehabilitation clients. It enables me to use the knowledge and experience I have gained in both fields to help patients recovering from cardiac events.

After moving to the island, I found it difficult to maintain a consistent workout routine. I no longer had the support from family and friends that I received while home and it wasn’t long before I had put on 15 pounds of post baby weight. I saw the ad for Stroller Strides online and decided to give it a try. After one class with Kim, I knew that SS class was where I needed to be for weight loss, motivation and friendship. Nine months later, I have completed four road races, one trail run and have lost 20 pounds! Before starting Stroller Strides, I could barely run a mile. Now, my goal is to complete a marathon before leaving Hawaii.

A favorite quotation of mine is ‘those who do not have time for exercise, will sooner or later find time for illness.’ There is never enough time in the day. As mothers, we put everyone else’s needs before our own. Stroller Strides enables us to take time out everyday just for us. We are also able to show our little ones the importance of incorporating physical activity as part of a daily routine and healthy lifestyle. I am excited to become an instructor and look forward to meeting new moms as well as working with some of the awesome women I have met so far. See you in class!

Note the dates on each photo.