Welcome to FIT4MOM, Central Leeward Oahu

Monday, December 5, 2011

Member Monday

Aloha ladies, I'm Teresa and I attend Stroller Strides at CORP and Kapolei (and hopefully Hickam in the near future).

We are winding down our 3 year Hawaiian adventure and leave the island in March 2012.

I met my Air Force husband when we were both 1st Lieutenants serving at Osan AB in South Korea. We left Korea for Germany before we headed back to the States where I separated following the birth of Lauren in 2007.

We moved to Oahu in 2009 and settled in beautiful Ko Olina... with a 20 month old and 6 months pregnant. Now we are leaving in March with a 4 year old, a 2 year old and.... 6 months pregnant.

I've always been slender and "naturally" lazy. My idea of exercise was 30 minutes on the elliptical and a few crunches. I saw the SS ladies at Kapolei and the thought of jogging with a stroller up a busy street and jumping around like a crazy person in a park was so far outside of my comfort zone it's not even funny. I met Jenna (of course) at the pool. She had just had her 3rd baby and looked incredible and could sell Stroller Strides to a 300 pound man!

My husband left for a long TDY when Max was 3 weeks old. I actually got a sitter off of Craigslist and went to the gym. While on my famous elliptical, I thought... I just spent 20 bucks to be bored and pretend to workout inside and I live in Hawaii! I emailed Joni the next day and started Stroller Strides.

I fell instantly in love with Joni, Buffy Whiteman and Kim Merriman and realized I didn't hate exercise, I just wasn't a self motivator and needed group fitness and it really wasn't a big deal jumping around in public.

My favorite Buffy quote, "If there's not a baby attached to your boob, you need to be moving!" I met a lot of people who actually ran for fun and it's filled our time in Hawaii with a bunch of 5K, 10K and half marathons.

The entire family "deployed" to Las Vegas September 2010 for 6 months and I could not adjust to going to the YMCA or running in the desert. It was a horrible time, I gained about 8 pounds and still feel cheated out of my Hawaiian time. When we returned, we moved onto Hickam and I didn't rejoin Stroller Strides because of the drive and I really didn't want to deal with my then-sassy 3 year old in the stroller. We did find other fitness and got back into shape but I continued to follow SS on the internet and it made me sad to see the SS shirts at races. I looked into coming back when Lauren started preschool. We live on an island and it isn't as big of a deal as I thought to get to Kapolei or CORP and we're glad to be back.... but still have our fingers crossed for SS Hickam!

Stroller Strides fills a lot of gaps that you find living far from those you love especially when daddies are often gone. I encourage everyone to get a sitter and go to Mom's Night Out, skip nap time and head to the water park after class, go on active.com and sign up for a race with fellow stroller pushers. You'd be surprised how much you and the kids will enjoy running around and over Ford Island during the Bridge Run and you'll look forward to signing your 3 year old up for the Banana Man Chase. Let's face it, Fit Moms do Rock!