Welcome to FIT4MOM, Central Leeward Oahu

Monday, December 26, 2011

Member Monday

Happy Holidays! My name is Keara and I have been a Stroller Strides member for a little over a month. I attend classes at Schofield, but I’m hoping to start classes at CORP as well after the first of the year.

My husband, Greg, 9 year-old stepson, Caleb, and 8 month old son, Owen, moved to Hawaii at the beginning of October. My husband is a SSG in the ARMY and this is our second duty station as a family. I am originally from Kentucky and have a Masters degree in Social Work. Eventually, I want to go back to work, but I am enjoying every minute of being a stay-at-home-mom!

I have always struggled with my weight. When I graduated high school I was at my heaviest, 320 lbs, and at my smallest, 140 lbs, when I met my husband. Needless to say, I have spent the past four years focusing on my education, career and family that I put myself on the “backburner.”

While pregnant, the pounds seemed to “pack on” despite my best effort to keep them off. After Owen arrived, I focused all my time and energy into being the best mom I could be that the baby weight just seemed to stay around and my self-confidence continued to diminish. Being able to still wear maternity clothes six months after giving birth, I had all but given up hope at being able to lose the weight. That’s when I was introduced to Stroller Strides, and my life has changed for the better since!

I look forward to each and every class! I can feel myself getting stronger (and hopefully smaller) and it feels wonderful! All of the ladies at Schofield are AMAZING and motivate me to push myself further than I ever thought possible. Be it a smile or a “way to go” they always make me feel like I can do just one more burpee, hold my plank five seconds longer, or sprint to the next pole without passing out.

While I would love to fit back into my size 8 non-stretch jeans, I have come to realize that the most important thing is for me to be healthy for my children and my husband—regardless of my pant size or weight. Being happy, healthy and stronger than the day before is what I strive for at each class. I know with time, effort and the awesome support I get from SS mommas, I will eventually reach my goals, and maybe even fit into my “skinny” jeans again.

I look forward to meeting new SS mommas in the New Year, and making 2012 the best year ever!