Welcome to FIT4MOM, Central Leeward Oahu

Monday, April 30, 2012

Member Monday






Aloha kaua! My name is Kehau and I’m a new member of the Stroller Strides ‘ohana on Schofield Barracks.  I’m a local girl!  The Schofield location is actually right next to my hometown, Wahiawa, HI.  Yes!  I’ve had the awesome opportunity of being born and raised in Hawaii.  I met my husband Travis here and we moved to Mililani Mauka to start our life together.  Soon after, we found we were having a baby girl!  And, in October 2011, God blessed us with our daughter, Lia La’akeamaikalani Allessi.  In our time off, our family loves to go to the beach, go hiking, eat awesome food, and watch mixed martial arts.  We are also very active within our church where we get to help plan activities for the kiddos, serve through leadership, and share life with others.  My husband and I are also very competitive (in everything) so almost anything can turn into a game—even diaper changing. For now, my husband is stationed at Schofield Barracks until June, and then we get to move to Fort Hood, TX.  This will be my first time on the mainland, so I’m a little nervous, but mostly excited about all the possibilities. 

I recently joined  Stroller Strides because I just didn’t feel like myself anymore.  I felt lethargic, lazy, and unorganized.  I also realized that I focused a lot of my energy on food.  I was a major “snacker” and I would snack all day long.  I can also confess that I was addicted to sweets like cookies, cake, and candy.  One day, I looked at myself in the mirror (like really looked at myself) and I realized that I was not who I used to be.  In high school, I stayed healthy by playing soccer and softball.  As a young single adult, I spent a lot of my time at the gym or running in the neighborhood.  At that time, I remember I had so much energy and focus.  I missed that “old” me.  So I signed up for SS and (as the cliché goes) the rest is history. 
 
I really enjoy Stroller Strides because I feel like I have people to relate to.  It encourages me to know that there are other women who have felt the same way as me.  Since joining, I’ve began to eat A LOT better, drink more water, exercise in my free time, and sustain enough energy to take care of my family.  The thing that I like the most is that I am a positive influence for my daughter.  Honestly, I love when it hurts. When Maria or Debbie really kick our butts out on the field, it pushes me run faster, push harder, and dig deeper.  That is an awesome feeling.