Welcome to FIT4MOM, Central Leeward Oahu

Monday, November 21, 2011

Member Monday

Aloha Stroller Strides Mommies! My name is Sallie and I recently moved to Hawaii from Japan in July. I attend classes at CORP and Kapolei. I am originally from Missouri and am a true midwestern girl at heart.

I married my husband, Grant, who is in the Navy in 2006 and we have three awesome kiddos: Ben is five and is in Kindergarten at Pearl Harbor Kai, and twins Piper and Nate who are two. I have my master's degree in Child Life and met Grant while I was working at a children's hospital in San Diego. Since then we have moved from San Diego, to Hawaii, to Japan and now back to Hawaii!

Growing up I loved to be outside and be active but I was not a competitive person so sports were not my forte! As I have gotten older I have stayed active by hiking, jogging, chasing around three kids and trying to stay motivated with exercise videos. After I had my twins my body completely changed. My skin stretched a lot during my pregnancy and while we were in Japan I did not have a lot of motivation to stay active.

When we lived in Hawaii previously I was involved in Stroller Strides for about a year right after my five year old was born. I was in the best shape of my life! Once we came back here I knew I needed to get involved in SS again but I just wasn't motivated or confident. Finally one day I took the plunge and e-mailed Joni and decided to get back on the fitness wagon. I am so glad I did!!! I already feel so much better about myself and I can feel my confidence coming back. I love the feeling of being sore after a hard workout and thinking about how much I have accomplished at class.

Currently my biggest challenge is changing my eating habits. I find myself making poor food choices throughout the day just to get by. I am now trying to cook more and cook healthier which I haven't done since we left for Japan. Growing up my mom always had a homemade dinner on the table every night with fruits and vegetables and I want to model that. Unfortunately I inherited a sweet tooth from my dad that has only gotten stronger over the years! Right now I am trying to read up on eating cleaner and cooking lighter. So far I'm taking baby steps but I feel like I can make a positive change for myself and my family.

I am so excited to be involved with Stroller Strides again since it was such a positive experience for me in 2006. I have enjoyed getting to know many of the mommies at class and look forward to getting stronger and healthier!